Connecting Views: White

 

Liam White

Dr. Ellis

EN 101

September 29, 2021

Connecting Views

            There are many different ways to look at life. There are religious views and there are working views. Each different way has its own aspects that allow people to see something new in life. From Jesuits to working men, each view allows the reader to understand some new aspect that would not have been seen if they had not read that poem or writing.

            For example, in The Service of Faith and the Promotion of Justice in American Jesuit Higher Education, I believe that his main point was to show you why Jesuits do what they do. This is important because attending a Jesuit school, you are expected to hold up certain values. I have always liked Loyola’s education but have never understood what it meant for it to be a Jesuit education. I believe that the last couple of pages of this writing really allowed me to get an understanding of Jesuit education. When the teaching of the writing is summarized, I believe that it helps the reader understand more effectively that a Jesuit education is about bringing people together and allowing for a group of people to move in the forward direction while still pursuing the characteristics of the Jesuits. I believe this helped me understand what it means to be pursuing an education at Loyola.

            I also believe Milton and Soto both give the same look at life and are related to the first writing because they show you life outside of higher education. As the Jesuit teaching teach you how to be a better person in a controlled environment, these writing serve to show you what real life is, with both of these poems talk about the laborings of man. They talk about how those laborers are never complete. These poems talk about the hard work of life, not labor specifically, and how God rewards those how can be patient and continue on in their labors. Yet, both are talking about not being greedy, and not giving up on the labor that needs to be done. Both of these characteristics are taught by a Jesuit higher education.

            It is sometimes hard to find a connection between pieces of writing that seemingly have none. However, because of the broad reach that the teachings of the Jesuit have you are able to learn new aspects from them while looking into writings that have some kind of tie into those views. This is why I am glad that I am getting a Jesuit education. It is hard to see how higher education will help me in the real world, but I believe that like these pieces having a Jesuit education will help me connect real life with Jesuit characteristics and will help me succeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

frankenstein Laura Salmeron

What I learned this semester

Frankestein first half