What I Learned This Semester

 Among the different things I learned this semester, more specifically in this class, probably the most interesting and inspiring were by far were the different works based on vocation. This included Red Palm by Soto, When I Consider How My Light is Spent by Milton, and the interview with Father Kolvenbach. For this reason I wrote my paper on their writings and have integrated their thoughts in some of my other classes and extracurricular activities, at times even quoting them, and there are multiple reasons why.

Among these are the citations that the yoke we carry doesn't always need to be the most strenuous for us to be accomplished, but oftentimes it just needs to be the right one. And even so God, nature, the greater good, or whatever one would prefer doesn't need our specific talent in a messianic sense, but instead blesses us with the ability to serve it's purpose. And to avoid serving this purpose in the end would only be to sell ourselves short. 

Kolvenbach first touches on this in his interview when he states that one of the new goals of the church is to encourage people to use their vocations not just as nine-to-five to support themselves and their families, but also as a means to support and leverage greater justice throughout all of society. And the price for walking away from this may mean that one is laboring away even into their old age just to get by as seen in Red Palm. Yet also as seen in Red Palm, it never truly is too late to do better, case-in-point the father training his son to grow and become better than he is and live a more comfortable life.

All of these lessons have not only helped me develop a greater appreciation for reading and literature in general, but have also grown to influence my religious beliefs and personal life choices in recent days in ways I wasn't always aware I needed. I'm glad I've had the opportunity to study them and discuss them with my peers and gain an even better comprehension. I hope to continue to make appropriate use of this knowledge moving forward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

frankenstein Laura Salmeron

What I learned this semester

Frankestein first half